Welcome to Stage 1 of Fly Fishing  

Posted by Unknown in ,

Welcome to my new fly fishing, backpacking, and personal finance blog.



Huh!?!? What kind of combination is that! The first two fit, but personal finance?



Let me explain. First about me, this will help to set the stage for the reason for this blog. I have been married for six years to my beautiful wife. We have twin 3 year olds. We both work. I work 4 ten hour shifts and have an extra day off. My wife takes care of the kids during the day and then goes off to work when I get home, not to return until about 9PM that night. Which brings me to this blog. I have precious little time to fish, let alone blog about having little time to fish, when I could be doing something fishing related.



Now how personal finance fits in to this. In order to maximize time available to fish, as well as the spousal units willingness to let me fish, I need to manage my money and time accordingly. We live on an average income, sub 6 figures. So to not work more (thus eating up fishing time) and to not feel guilty about having a time consuming hobby, efficient management of our assets is key. We just recently got out of debt (except for the mortgage). No credit cards, no car loans, no personal loans, NOTHING!



This blog is about getting the most out of fishing time, fly fishing where the crowds aren't (back country fly fishing), and getting in more fly fishing. The meaning of Stage 1 of Fly Fishing embraces this philosophy.



Here's what Stage 1 of Fly Fishing means:



Stage One, John says, is when you fish from dawn till dusk without a break, get quickly drunk on something cheap, spend the night wrapped in a wet blanket, eat cold beans from the can and don't even notice, let alone care. At the end of a Stage One trip, you'll drive all night and show up to work without sleep and half and hour late. You won't care about that, either, although your boss might. But if he fires you, it only means you have more time to fish.



John Gierach: Standing in a River Waving a Stick





This entry was posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at Saturday, February 17, 2007 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment