Hammocks -  

Posted by Unknown in , ,

In the never ending quest to cut some weight on backpacking trips (in order to carry waders and boots without killing my flabby self), I tried out a hammock. A Hennessey Hammock to be exact. In stead of packing in my 2 man tent, I went for the ultralight backpacker a-sym . It weighs in at a paltry 1lb 15oz. I'm not sure what my el-cheapo 2-man tent weighs, but it's got to be creeping up on 6lbs.

I hiked in to the Encampment River Wilderness (Wyoming), to fish what else, but the Encampment River. The trip was in June 2006. So the weather was comfortable and didn't really test the hammock out for it's weather resistance. I've heard/read a lot about how hammocks get cold, especially on the bottom side. Apparently this is due to insulation compression. While the temps dropped in to the 40's I never had a problem with getting cold and slept comfortably.

All in all it was pretty good. I did miss the room a tent provides (no sitting up and playing cards with your fishing buddy in a hammock). I purchased mine through REI for about $200.

Here's some good hammock links:
SGT Rock's Hiking HQ : great info, reviews, and tips. Stop here First
Clark Jungle Hammock : another camping hammock, compare to the Hennessey
Speer Hammocks : another camping hammock, compare to the others, the guy that makes these literally wrote the book on hammock camping
Risk's Ultralight Hiking Page : great info and tips, extensive references on other ultralight tips


I will post more on hiking lighter and trimming down or replacements for heavier equipment. My backpacking is all about getting to better fishing and fewer people.

This entry was posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 at Monday, February 19, 2007 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment